Monday, August 27, 2012

Mindset, certainty and KONE elevators


You know those awkward moments when your mindset takes control over the certainty? That’s exactly what happened to me today morning. I had a chance to make the right move. But, I didn’t. Instead, I asked my brains to shut up and did exactly what I wasn’t supposed to do. Not sure if Sigmund Freud has explained this; Not sure how you’d rate my stupidity after reading this; I had no choice but to feel terrible. 

Scene 1: (A week ago)I was reading newspaper and came across a column where the news of one Nithin Rai Chitransh with 15 others had been the victims of a lift free fall from 7th floor in Fidelity office in Bangalore. I have a friend with the same name who works for the same company. For a second I wanted to call him to make sure everything’s alright. But the other side of my brain said that I’m probably thinking too much. My mindset said to me that “Arrey, from the day I started working on a brain application that identifies Alzheimer’s, I’ve been thinking very negatively; Saala Nithin ko kya ho sakta hai?” and I kept quiet.

Scene 2: (Today), while chatting on facebook with Nithin Rai Chitransh:
Me: Yaar, Maine padha paper main ki koi Nithin Rai Chitransh Fidelity me kaam karnewala gir gaya lift se” …“Kahin wo tum to Nahin?” . (I asked him so casually with so much of conviction that it’s not him)
Nithin:“ Kamine kutte... Itni fikar thi too call kar leta. Haa mai hee hoon.. Sale dost bolte hoo.. 9 floors ka free fall aur phir right leg ki surgery..

I couldn’t believe it! I called Neelu and had it confirmed that it was indeed him. That was the moment of shame. That was my inability to see something that was genuinely obvious. Though this was lodged in that part of my mind where fantasy was permissible, the revelation was awkward. Now I really cannot ascertain if the way I handled things was right or not; but certainly, I’ve started doubting my state of mind. If I had 100 Nithin Rai chitranshs who work in Fidelity, I’d have justified this. How could I not gauge the circumstances with presence of mind? How couldn’t I handle a situation of this simple triviality with ease? Never was there a time where I felt this bad. Perhaps more so to me because in past, I’ve laughed at people who are driven by emotions.

Now he’s had his surgery and recuperating and Fidelity his supporting him in all the possible ways. Thank heavens. This incident may be just another incident for you. But for me, on the other hand, it’s spectacular how life teaches us lessons! A man’s true potential arises when he encounters something which pushes him into the need for self examination and self explanation. The situation may or may not be subtle; but it’s our mindset that decides if it is gentle, poetic, volatile or cruel. The experience was not a pleasant one, but what I learnt, I thought is worth a share! And of course, “Nithin, get well soon mamu!

P.S:  Dear “KONE” elevators, Fuck you and your technology. Go to hell!

Image courtesy: odalternatives.com

6 comments:

  1. I am very happy to read your articles it’s very useful for me,
    and I am completely satisfied with your website.
    All comments and articles are very useful and very good.
    Your blog is very attention-grabbing. I am loving all of the in
    turn you are sharing with each one!…

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk of coincidences! I was just looking up the meaning of "apophenia" a while ago; and after reading this, I can conclude with safe subject-matter knowledge that you my friend, suffered from reverse apophenia!

    P.S.:
    Definition for apophenia:
    Apophenia is the experience of seeing meaningful patterns or connections in random or meaningless data.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Distribution Transformer: Thank you for those words! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Manoj: Reverse Apopenia. Perfect for the situation above! But i felt bad. Very bad.. BTW, did you know that Nitin met with this accident?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting. A blogger wrote, "If you are every stuck in an elevator, pray it not a KONE". I pray for you Nithin and his family. Shaun Kwong - http://www.elevatormalaysia.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This blog is truly useful to convey refreshed instructive issues over web which is truly appraisable. I discovered one effective case of this truth through this blog. I will utilize such data now. lost love back in dubai

    ReplyDelete